PhD in Psychology : Career, Admission Process, Benefits, Opportunities.
WHAT IS A PHD IN PSYCHOLOGY?
- PhD in Psychology is an academic degree in which students do Research in Psychology subjects. This course is offered by both public and private Universities.
- This academic degree is perfect for those students who want to make their career in the field of Research. Within this program, students who want to practice in psychology are continuously trained by the Universities.
- This field includes not only basic but also applied research. A lot of research work has to be done which helps the students to get advanced level in the subject.
- If a student does a PhD in Psychology, then many career paths are open for him. A PhD student can make a career in college as a professor and in many other fields as well.
- In this way, we can see that how many career paths can open for students by doing PhD in Psychology subject.
PhD in Psychology: Program Options
- Students take courses in various research theories and conduct Research with the supervision of a faculty mentor or experts.
- Some common programs include:
ü Clinical Psychology
ü School Psychology
ü Child Psychology
ü Business Psychology
ü Cognitive Behavioral Psychology
ü Counselling Psychology
PhD in Psychology: Requirements for Admission
- Applicants should have an undergraduate degree with in-depth psychology training, including various subjects/fields like statistics, Research methods, and also laboratory experience.
- If you have good marks in Mathematics and Statistics, then it will be beneficial.
- GRE scores must be submitted along with a transcript, a person of statement, Letters of recommendation and references
ü Transcripts- You have to submit official transcripts from each university-level institution you attended or are attending.
ü A Personal Statement- It is very important to make it specific to each college/university you are applying to.
ü Letters of Recommendation- Most universities require two to three letters of recommendation.
ü References- You should provide your references with a list of Schools/Colleges you are applying to and also the deadlines for each school/college.
- Requirements may vary depending on Universities or School.
PhD in Psychology: Admission Process
- We already know that PhD degrees are considered as the highest degree in the field, which helps in enhancing not only your resume but also your career. The admission of this course is based on an entrance test conducted at the state level and/or National level.
- Candidates are shortlisted based on both academic record and performance in a relevant nationwide screening test followed by an interview conducted by various universities.
- Some of the most common entrance exams are:
ü UGC-NET (including JRF)
ü JRF (Junior Research Fellowship)
ü RAT (Research Aptitude test)
ü UGC-CSIR NET
- Candidates can also get admission on a direct basis, but in such cases, it will not be beneficial because you will not get stipends.
- If any candidate has some research project as an initial stage, he/she can request to extend the same as their PhD research after approval from their faculties.
PhD in Psychology: Duration
- The duration of PhD varies on a different basis. The degree can take four years to complete if you already have a master’s degree in a related area, or it can take five years if you enter the program with a bachelor’s degree. It ranges from 3 years to 6 years in the case of psychology, but it can be further extended in some cases.
PhD in Psychology: Top Universities
PhD in Psychology becoming more and more popular amongst students, top universities across the world, apart from offering bachelor and master level courses, are now offering a PhD in Psychology. Providing world-class facilities and educational infrastructure, listed below are some of the top universities offering this program:
- Monash University
- University of Surrey
- University of San Francisco
- University of Auckland
- Stanford University
- Massey University
- University of Portsmouth
- University of Illinois
- Griffith University
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Adelaide
- University of Toronto
- The University of Manchester
- Professionals who earn their PhD in psychology have many career options. They can opt for a career in social services and also in mental healthcare services. There is a strong demand for professionals in these fields because of the lack of professionals in the healthcare system. Psychologists deal with the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental health disorders and also provide preventive services for human beings.
- Clinical Psychologists – These professionals work in hospitals, clinics, residential facilities, and other institutions that provide mental health services.
- Industrial-Organizational Psychologists- These professionals focus on the various matter, as an example, employee recruitment and selection, organizational structure, job satisfaction, and systems for employee comfort.
- Experimental Psychologists- These are specialized in the study of human behavior. Experimental psychologists can work as consultants in different areas. Their Research explores thinking, motivation, attention, and some other functions. These professionals not only study human behavior but also study animals such as Monkeys, rats, etc.
- Forensic Psychologists – They focus on criminal and civil matters to include jury selection, victim advocacy, risk assessments, juvenile delinquency, family law insurance claims, mental status competency and many other areas of the justice system. These professionals help in finding psychological insights and apply that to legal matters. Careers in forensic psychology are diverse.
- Rehabilitation Psychologists- These professionals focus on the psychological aspects of loss, disability and rehabilitation. Researchers in the field of rehabilitation psychology explore various factors, including social, biological, and environmental issues which affect people with chronic illness and other disabilities.
- School Psychologists- These professionals evaluate the effectiveness of the educational process and help students to improve their performance. School psychologists are generally employed by public learning centers to help students overcome challenges related to social adjustment, emotional issues and other behavioral problems. Some professionals specialize in working with specific groups of students.
- Sports Psychologists- Sports Psychologists help athletes to overcome problems and achieve their goals. They explore the link between psychological and physical factors. They play roles acting as a consultant, a therapist as a trainer.
- Counseling Psychologists- These professionals do the same things that a clinical psychologist does. They focus on persons with adjustment problems from severe psychological disorders. Counseling psychologists are employed in academic settings, community mental health centers, and counseling centers.
- Health Psychologists- They promote and help in the maintenance of good health and the prevention and treatment of illness. They may conduct programs to help an individual by providing knowledge. For example, how to lose weight, manage stress, and stay physically fit. They are employed in hospitals, medical schools, rehabilitation centers, public health agencies.
- Teaching and Research – If you are interested in teaching, you will work in a university setting, where you can also do research in the field of your subject or interest. If an individual wants to focus on Research, he/ she can work for government agencies or for the private research sector as well.
- Social Work- Social workers are those people who practice psychotherapy either as clinical social workers or psychiatric social workers. Clinical Social Workers diagnose and treat psychological problems. Psychiatric social workers provide services to married couples, individuals and small groups. They work in hospitals, mental health centers, counseling centers and Schools.
Personal Skills to be successful in the field of psychology
- Analytical mind
- A lot of patience grants the ability to remain cool under pressure.
- Passion for helping people
- Excellent communication skills to effectively counsel patients
- Compassion combined with drive
- Psychologists are, therefore, responsible for identifying psychological, emotional, and/or behavioral issues, as well as diagnosing any specific disorders by using the information provided/gained from patient interviews, records and medical reference materials.
- Psychology is a vast and highly rewarding field of study. Salary depends on many factors like his/her qualifications, area of specialization, and experience.
- Psychologists are often doctors, but not medical doctors. Instead, they may be a PhD (doctor of philosophy) in the subject of Psychology.
- Licensed psychologists are qualified to do counseling and perform testing and provide treatment for mental disorders, but generally, psychologists cannot write prescriptions or perform medical procedures.
- The PhD in Psychology helps the research Scholar in many ways. PhD program in Psychology encourages research scholars to conduct Research in the areas like social, psychology and cross-cultural psychology. Thus, the research scholars can contribute for the development of interdisciplinary Research, which in turn helps life of various people.
- The course enables students to contribute to the profession through independent learning and lots of Research.
- Candidates should have the ability to understand people of very different backgrounds and upbringing.
- Top 10 Best Bird Watching Websites
- 2022 Most Affordable Online Bachelor Degrees in Computer Science
- Take My Advice: Online College Student Experiences
- Best Online Associate Degree in Information Technology Programs 2022
- 2022 Best Online Associate in Computer Science Programs
- 2022 Top Community Colleges in Ohio
- Best Art Degree Jobs Available in Today’s Economy
- Best Online Colleges & Universities in Southwest 2021
- Best Online Colleges in Wisconsin in 2021
- Best Online Bachelor Programs in Child Development of 2021
- Best 10 Online Masters in Political Science Programs 2021
- How to Become an Astronaut and What to Study?
- 10 Most Affordable Online Bachelor Programs In Criminal Justice
- Best Online Anthropology Degree Programs of 2021
- What Kinds of Jobs are Available After Boot Camp?